Methods for best practice
Information on learning and teaching approaches for various kinds of neurodiversity in students:
- Accessible assessment: http://www.shu.ac.uk/services/lti/accessibleassessments/
- Birkbeck, University of London
- Inclusive computer-assisted assessment: http://www.caaconference.com/pastConferences/2005/proceedings/BallS.pdf
- Open University: http://www.open.ac.uk/inclusiveteaching/
- Techdis: http://www.techdis.ac.uk/index.php?p=3_20040610031024_20042511111126
- Trinity College, Dublin: http://www.tcd.ie/disability/staff/introduction.php
- University of Bournemouth
- University of Loughborough : http://www.lboro.ac.uk/disabilities/pages/staff-teaching.html
A useful set of documents about making electronic materials accessible:
UK national projects focusing on inclusive learning and teaching:
- The National Association of Disability Practitioners (NADP) website offers resources, support, conferences and codes of practice for disability practitioners in HE. It also provides information and support for students with disabilities.
- Inclusive Curriculum Project - The project aims to develop, disseminate and embed resources for supporting disabled students studying geography, earth and environmental sciences in higher education and to transfer the generic lessons widely to subject-based academics, educational developers, learning support staff and disability advisers. http://www2.glos.ac.uk/gdn/icp/gdlist.htm
- Information from De Montfort University about inclusive learning and teaching here.
- Promoting Enhanced Student Learning (PESL)By making small adjustments and speaking to the students about the implications of their disability in the learning and teaching environment, many difficulties faced by students can be can greatly alleviated and the effectiveness of teaching for all students can be enhanced. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/teaching/resources/issues/disability/
- SCIPS (Strategies for the Creation of Inclusive Programmes of Study) http://www.scips.worc.ac.uk/
- South West Academic Network for Disability Support (SWANDS) - A useful staff development resource which may be reproduced for auditing and training purposes. It covers a wide range of accessible learning and teaching practices: www.plymouth.ac.uk/pages/view.asp?page=3243
- Teachability Project - The Teachability project at the University of Strathclyde promotes the creation of an Accessible Curriculum For Students With Disabilities through making freely available informative publications for academic staff. http://www.teachability.strath.ac.uk/
Staff-student partnership for assessment change and evaluation:
- Information about the SPACE Project here.